What is PPAP?
M Barnwell Services provide ISIR (Initial Sample Inspection Report) and PPAP on selected items which consists of 5 levels, most commonly being 2/3. PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) is the automotive industry standard that ensures production specification and engineering design requirements are met. Providing PPAP documentation ensures that suppliers and customers have a precise understanding of the requirements to acquire part approval of supplier manufactured parts.
What does it do?
- Provides understanding of information required to obtain part approval and standardises the part approval process
- Ensures product conformance with accurate information and sufficient data presented with part submissions
- Provides a record of part conformance at launch
- Ensures traceability of part design status at origin by detailing pertinent design records
- Controls product and process change, providing an approval outlet for all changes to guarantee conformance to the next level assembly/process
What benefits does it provide?
- Consistent part approval process
- Assures parts conform to customer requirement
- Evidence of process stability
- Provides an approval outlet for all changes to ensure conformance to the next level assembly/process, controlling product and process change process
- Reduces delays and non-conformances during the part approval process
- Design Documentation
- Engineering Change Documentation
- Customer Engineering Approval
- Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (DFMEA)
- Process Flow Diagram
- Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA)
- Control Plan
- Measurement System Analysis studies
- Records of Material
- Initial Process Studies
- Qualified Laboratory Documentation
- Appearance Approval Report
- Samples Production Parts
- Master Sample
- Customer Specific Requirements
- Part Submission Warrant (PSW)
ISIR: (Initial Sample Inspection Report)
M Barnwell Services provide ISIR (Initial Sample Inspection Report), which is a vital step in the sampling process that documents the dimension and material results of the first product batch, known as the ‘initial sample’. Before going into series production, these products are produced via series production processes under realistic conditions. The customer then receives this for review.
Why use an ISIR?
- Evaluates whether a product is suitable for series production by examining its consistency
- Looks to prevent faults in series production from the onset
- Establishes fundamental agreements between customer and supplier
- Can be tailormade to various levels of complexity and scopes
PPAP Level 2 – PSW (Part Submission Warrant) with product samples and limited supporting data
When to apply it:
- During initial sampling
- Applies mostly for changes or product variants that affect dimensions and functions e.g. dimensional reports, materials and performance test
PPAP Level 3 – PSW with product samples and complete supporting data
When to apply it:
- PPAP Level 3 is primarily applied when a completely new product is being developed or major changes to functional relevant characteristics or to the production process
M Barnwell Services offers a wide range of Automotive products and services, including Clean Room. If you would like more information about our range or services, download our catalogue, visit the Seal Maker Page or contact a member of the team.
E & OE. M Barnwell Services endeavour to make sure that all content is correct. The information has been gathered from manufacturing partners.